This ad is expired.
Position Title & Department: Tram Driver;Public Safety and Tram Services
Posting #: 4873
The Tram Service is an on-campus shuttle service that moves students, faculty, staff and visitors to various stops on the campus.
The trams run in a circular loop throughout the entire campus as well as short loops to media reaccommodate heavier traffic from Manchester Village and the West Parking Structure. The Tram Service also provides morning and evening service to Old Town Trolley Station. The Tram Service operates full time during the fall and spring semesters and on a limited basis during intersession and summer.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Contemporary Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanitys urgent challenges.
This is a temporary full-time, benefit-based position with an anticipated end date of May 31, 2024.
The tram driver supports the University and department mission to offer quality service and create a welcoming environment. Under supervision, this position is responsible for the operation of a tram designed to carry up to 30 passengers on and off campus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drives tram on designated routes.
- Maintains current Class B driver's license with passenger endorsement of 30+ and medical certification.
- Adheres to all traffic regulations.
- Drives in a safe and efficient manner.
- Maintains scheduled runs.
- Displays courteous manners to all passengers.
- Checks vehicle for damage and maintenance needs (tires, cleanliness).
- Helps maintain vehicle cleanliness.
- Practices non-aggressive, defensive driving techniques; anticipates and reports traffic problems to other drivers.
- Monitors gauges, reports discrepancies, and initiates correction.
- Monitors and responds to communications over radio.
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable safety procedures and emergency equipment in the event of an illness, accident, or breakdown.
- Makes oneself familiar and adheres to University polices in regards to Standards of Conduct.
- Follows safety practices appropriate to the trade and complies with rules and regulations established by the University, state and federal agencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Successfully pass drug-screening test.
- Must pass Department of Motor Vehicles background check and submit driver record printout.
- Must be able to work assigned hours and may be required to work overtime and weekends, as needed. May need to adjust shifts; work extended or late shifts.
- Job hours and/or work week may be changed when necessary to meet work commitments.
- Must have a valid, California Class B driver's license with passenger endorsement of 30 or more and will be required to drive University vehicles.
- Employee is required to properly wear a uniform issued by USD.
- Will participate in the University and/or department leadership enrichment courses and/or seminars related to the trade.
- Due to safety sensitive job classification, must pass drug and alcohol pre-employment exam and enroll in random testing program.
Effective June 1, 2023, based on CDC guidance, the University strongly encourages all campus members to stay up to date with Influenza and COVID-19 vaccination recommendations. For more regarding information USD's COVID-19 protocols, please visit sandiego.edu/onward.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of three years operating with a Class B license with passenger endorsement of 30 or more.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to clearly communicate information to a wide variety of people, as well as the ability to handle problem passengers.
- Physical strength and mobility to assist with passengers who use a wheelchair.
- Skill in driving vehicles in pedestrian congested areas.
- Knowledge of various safe-driving techniques.
- Must become familiar with campus building names to help direct visitors.
- Be knowledgeable of campus layout and parking facilities.
- Must maintain an acceptable attendance record.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Must have a valid California class B drivers license with a passenger endorsement of 30 or more.
- Must maintain current medical certificate.
Tools and Equipment Used:
- 25 ADA Shuttle Bus, GPS system, Hytera 400 MHz radio, and Workday time card.
$20.67 - $20.68 per hour; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required Click the 'Apply Now' button to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume to your application profile for the hiring managers review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
37.5 Hours per week
Closing date: February 13, 2024
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: February 09, 2024
Applications close: February 13, 2024
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/496646/tram-driver
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency