Cyber Security Instructor, full-time tenure track
College of the Desert
Salary: $5,955.36 - $8,308.39 Monthly
Job Type: Full Time Faculty Instructional
Job Number: 18-0455
Location: All locations, CA
Department: School of Applied Science and Business
- Meet classes/laboratories on day and times assigned.
- Develop and implement instruction for each class/laboratory period which is consistent with the official course outline.
- Develop and distribute the first week of class, a written syllabus for each course to communicate to students course objectives, grading criteria, and classroom policies.
- Demonstrate respect for student rights as specified in District policy and applicable laws.
- Submit requisitions for textbooks and instructional materials in a timely manner.
- Refer students to tutoring and related student services when appropriate.
- Supervise student in off-campus activities when participation is expected as part of a course requirement or where such supervision is part of the instructors load.
- Provide academic assistance and related services to students during scheduled office hours.
- Evaluate students' progress toward meeting course objectives; advise the students of course objectives, methods of evaluation and the results of the evaluation.
- Return assignments and examination results in a timely fashion.
- Assign grades to students in the manner provided by District policy and administrative procedure and prescribed by the Education Code and Title V regulations for the State of California.
- Participate in the credit by examination program where applicable.
- Submit required administrative paperwork, including grade report forms, in a timely and accurate manner.
- Participate in the development and review of curriculum as needed.
- Participate in the development of alternative teaching modalities.
- Advise enrolled students on such matters as:
- Participate in required professional development activities.
- Continue to develop professional skills and knowledge.
- Participate in planning staff development programs.
- Participate in institutional research activities and grants.
- Attend/participate in professional conferences, seminars, or meetings.
- Schedule, announce to students in all classes, and maintain office hours.
- Attend and participate in department/center meetings.
- Attend commencement ceremony.
- Participate in the process of Shared Governance by contributing to the academic community through committee work on the department, division, college and/or district level, or participate in other significant non-classroom college, district, or community activities.
- Keep official records required by District policy and administrative procedures and submit them in accordance with college procedures.
- Participate in supervision of student assistants and paraprofessionals.
- Participate in articulation activities and the coordination of inter-divisional and intra-divisional learning activities.
- Abide by departmental regulations concerning the proper use, care, and security of equipment.
- Advise administration of unsafe conditions or potential hazards and recommend solutions.
- Participate in advisory committee meetings as required.
- Consult with management on personnel needs; assist with position announcements, recruitment, and screening/interviewing committees.
- Participate in the tenure review process as assigned.
- Participate in the evaluation of regular faculty and adjunct faculty as assigned.
- Participate in mentoring of new faculty as assigned.
- Fulfill all obligations as established in the current collective bargaining agreement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and 2 years of experience or an Associate's degree with 6 years experience in the specific area. The professional experience required must be directly related to the teaching assignment.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV): Include education and experience with employment dates (month and year).
- Statement/Cover Letter (See instructions below)
- List of Professional References (See instructions below)
- Transcripts For all graduate and undergraduate coursework (official or unofficial). Transcripts must show name of institution, degree, discipline, and, date awarded. Diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of the required transcripts.
College of the Desert is located in Palm Desert, California, the geographic center of the beautiful Coachella Valley. Nestled among the backdrop of the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto mountains in eastern Riverside County, the Coachella Valley is a resort community that offers over 100 golf courses and a wide array of outdoor activities such as tennis, hiking, horseback riding, hot air ballooning, polo, bicycling, rock climbing, and swimming.
Founded in 1958, this two-year public college serves over 400,000 residents of eight local cities and the students of the Palm Springs, Desert Sands and Coachella Valley school districts. College of the Desert offers certificates and two-year Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees.
The College serves over 15,400 students. COD is a federally recognized Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), with almost 73% of the student body identifying as Hispanic. The Coachella Valley community recently passed a $577 million bond measure, allowing for College of the Desert to improve its current facilities and expand its campus locations. These improvements and expansion will assist with College of the Desert's goals of providing an education to students inside and outside of the Coachella Valley.
The Computer Information System Department, which includes Cyber Security, has three full time faculty and eleven adjunct faculty teaching Computer Literacy, Programming, Networking, Web, Internet Research, and Office Skills courses to prepare students for careers and transfer. The Department Chair for Business oversees the programs together with the Dean of Applied Science and Business. The program has two dedicated computer labs and one Mac lab. Professional Development is highly valued and opportunities for conferences and training are offered to all faculty.
Under administrative leadership, it is the responsibility of the instructor to participate in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of educational programs, courses, and other experiences that will directly result in the educational growth of the students and support advancement of the vision, mission, and values of the Desert Community College District.
Classroom environment and faculty office environment.
Classes may be held at all campus locations, Palm Desert, Indio, Mecca-Thermal, Palm Springs, and/or Desert Hot Springs. Classes may be scheduled during the day, evening or weekend.
Faculty Bargaining Unit Position
Classes could be at the Palm Desert Campus or one of our sites in Indio, Mecca/Thermal, Palm Springs, or Desert Hot Springs. Classes may be scheduled during the day, evening or weekends.
Salary Placement is according to the Full time Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Minimum Bachelor level starting rate is $5,955.36 a month for an annual 10-month assignment. Maximum starting salary with PhD and significant instructional experience is $8,308.39 a month for a 10-month annual assignment. This is a 10 month per year full-time tenure-track position. For more information on salary placement please see the Collective Bargaining Agreement (Download PDF reader)and Salary Schedule (Download PDF reader).
Click here for more information about College of the Desert and the Coachella Valley
Click here to read: President's Message
Interviews for this position are tentatively scheduled for the first week of April 2018
Examples of Duties
A. Classroom responsibilities
B. Evaluation of Students
b. Major course requirements for the degree or certificate.
2. Participate as a Faculty Advisor to student organizations or clubs.E. Professional Development
F. Additional Responsibilities
Degrees earned outside of the U.S. require that a Foreign Equivalency be uploaded with the foreign transcripts. Supplemental Information
Experience and certifications in Networking Cisco, A+, Cyber Security, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Python, C#, Java, Visual Basic or other programming languages.
COVER LETTER / STATEMENT:
For consideration please attach a maximum three-page statement/letter of introduction addressing why you are interested in the position, how you meet the minimum qualifications, required qualifications, and desirable qualifications, and provide evidence of a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
LIST OF PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES:
The List of Professional References should include at least two current or previous supervisors, two faculty members, and two other references not related to the applicant (including classified support staff). Please include names, e-mail addresses, and current telephone numbers for each professional reference. Applicants from sectors other than higher education should submit comparable references. Letters of recommendation will not be accepted in lieu of the required List of Professional References.
To apply, visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/collegeofthedesert
If you are a person who thrives in a diverse environment, who values integrity, respect, student success, and professionalism, we welcome and encourage you to apply.
Employment selection and related decisions at College of the Desert are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, color or any other protected class.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency