Research Technician Associate
Job Opening ID: 185872
Work Location: Ann Arbor Campus
Ann Arbor, MI
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Organizational Group: Medical School
Department: Psychiatry Child Services
Posting Begin/End Date: 3/23/2020 4/06/2020
Paid Time Off:
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Research Technician Associate (full time lab manager/study coordinator) will work on studies conducted at the Speech Neurophysiology Lab headed by Dr. Soo-Eun Chang at the Rachel Upjohn Building in Ann Arbor. The position involves coordination of research studies that use neuroimaging methods (e.g., fMRI, EEG) to investigate the neurophysiological bases of childhood brain development and speech disorders such as stuttering. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, providing scheduling support, interacting with participants to conduct the informed consent process, obtaining study measures, monitoring and conducting mock and actual fMRI scans and EEG session, as well as assist in the data collection and participant navigation through all study procedures. The ability to work on short-term projects as requested is also required. The position requires a minimum of one, or ideally a 2-year commitment, and is an outstanding stepping stone for those considering a career in behavioral health, neuroscience, psychology, or speech/cognitive science research.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Screen potential subjects via telephone
- Consenting and coordinate subject participation in research studies
- Liaison to the patient/family and the study team
- Prepare and lead study team coordination meetings
- Behavioral data acquisition, including using standardized tests
- Overseeing fMRI, EEG, and tDCS/tACS experimental sessions
- Managing subject records and data entry, provide assistance manipulating, computing, and analyzing data using complex statistical computer software
- High school diploma or associate's degree
- Strong interpersonal and outstanding communication skills and flexibility for work in diverse settings and populations.
- Experience running studies with human subjects, including working with children or adolescents and their families
- Strong organizational skills, attentive to detail and able to follow protocols
- Some flexibility in schedule is necessary for the role, including weekends and evenings.
- Basic computer skills - word processing, internet searches, spreadsheets, elementary statistics, Microsoft Outlook.
- A valid driver's license and willingness to drive regularly between UM campuses within Ann Arbor is required.
- High level of motivation, initiative, self-teaching and problem-solving abilities
- Bachelor of arts or sciences (or equivalent), focus in behavioral or social sciences
- Experience with IRB procedures
- Experience with statistics/data analysis including coursework and research
- Experience with stuttering or other speech, language, or neurodevelopmental disorders
- Experience conducting fMRI or EEG studies strongly preferred, including experience working with fMRI technicians to implement study protocol
- Prior experience acquiring and analyzing neuroimaging data (e.g., using SPM, FSL, AFNI)
- Advanced skills in datasheet management, for example Microsoft Access.
Typically 9am-5pm, however flexibility to adjust schedule, including some weekends and evenings, is required.
Anticipated start date of May-June 2020
Rachel Upjohn Building, 4250 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan participates with the federal EVerify system. Individuals hired into positions that are funded by a federal contract with the FAR EVerify clause must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the EVerify system. This position is identified as a position that may include the EVerify requirement.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply, visit https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/185872/research_technician_associate
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency