Department Assistant - Community and Contract Education
Closing Date/Time: 2/4/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Hourly
Department: Contract and Community Educ
This classified hourly 45% (18 hours per week) Department Assistant position provides varied office assistant support to a College department or office and associated staff; performs related duties as required or assigned.
In addition, a Department Assistant position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other classified hourly or substitute assignments as needs arise.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 45.13% are LatinX, 5.26% multi-ethnic, 2.64% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 0.79% Filipino, 0.30% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2018. At Cabrillo, 56.66% of students are students of color and 54.91% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
- Serves as liaison between the department and offsite organizations
- Coordinates, inputs, edits, and maintains information for the department
- Provides information to faculty, staff, students, and the public regarding College and department requirements, procedures, and regulations, using good judgment and initiative
- Makes appointments for the department administrator and staff
- Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls
- Refers callers to the appropriate person, office, and/or program
- Maintains records and files
- Operates standard office equipment and various software to produce correspondence and reports such as email, word processing, spreadsheet, and databases
- Performs office support duties such as opening and distributing mail, and processing outgoing mail
- Schedules and arranges meetings, conference, and travel
- Reviews finished materials for completeness, accuracy, format, compliance with policies and procedures, and appropriate English usage
- Organizes and maintains various files
- Prepares and/or reviews timecards and other personnel documents
- Provides a variety of routine support services such as requisitioning supplies, scheduling equipment and facility usage, and arranging for the repair and maintenance of equipment
- May assist with the development, implementation, and tracking of the departmental budget by compiling information, maintaining records and monitoring expenditures
- May train or direct the work of student assistants
- May attend meetings and prepare minutes
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school AND three (3) years of general clerical or office support experience.
- The functions and terminology related to the department to which assigned
- Basic budgetary principles and practices
- Office assistant support practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary
- Record keeping principles and practices
- Business Mathematics
- Provide varied office assistant support to instructional and administrative staff
- Use initiative and judgment within established guidelines
- Organize work, set priorities and meet critical deadlines
- Maintain accurate records, files, and databases
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
- Operate a computer to enter, edit, and retrieve data to produce correspondence, reports and other written materials using various software
- Prepare concise reports, correspondence, and similar written materials
Salary: *$16.10 to $17.75 per hour to start, seven-step schedule to $21.58 per hour. Part-time, 45% (18 hours per week), classified hourly assignment, 11 months per year; Monday, Thursday, Friday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.; Tuesdays and Wednesdays 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Assignment scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued funding and Governing Board approval. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
*Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgment of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work-related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
The Cabrillo Classified Employees Union (CCEU) is the exclusive bargaining representative for classified employees. Classified employees who elect to join CCEU agree to have a monthly payroll deduction equal to the current membership dues rate, which is generally a percentage of gross monthly compensation.
Please Note: This classified hourly assignment is not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
EACH APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application
- Job-related resume
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birth place, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials must be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Monday, February 4, 2019.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency